“Why Do I”s about cultural things:
- – Christmas – -
- Why do we put up Christmas wreaths?
- Why do we celebrate Christmas on December 25th?
- Why do we eat Turkey at Christmas?
- Why are robins on Christmas cards?
- Why do we put up Christmas lights?
- – Lent – -
- Why do we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?
- – Saint Days – -
- Why do we celebrate St Patrick’s Day? And why do we wear green on this day?
- Why do we celebrate St Valentine’s Day?
- – Religious Customs – -
- Why do people go on pilgrimages?
- Why do Jews eat Challah, the special Jewish Bread?
- Why do Jewish people celebrate Rosh Hashanah?
- Why is the Jewish Holiday Tu B’shevat celebrated?
- Why do Hindus wear a red dot on their forehead?
- Why do we celebrate Boxing Day?
- Why do we celebrate Valentine’s Day?
- Why marry? Why do people get married?
- Why do grooms wear a pocket square at weddings?
- Why do we have the engagement and wedding ring custom?
- Why do people go on honeymoons? And why do we call it a honeymoon?
- Why do we write RSVP on wedding invitations?
Superstitions & Lucky Charms
- Maneki Neko / Waving Lucky Cat: Why do we consider the Beckoning Cat to be lucky?
- Rabbit’s Foot: Why do we consider the rabbit’s foot lucky?
- Good Luck Rooster: Why is the Rooster a symbol of good luck in Portugal?
Stuff we wear
- Why do we wear jewelry?
- Why do we have that small pocket on jeans?
- Why do people wear the peace sign?
- Why do American football players and baseball players have black paint drawn under their eyes?
- Why do cowboys wear hats?
- Why do sailors wear stipes?
- Why do people wear thick black glasses even if they don’t need glasses?
- Why do people wear images of black handlebar moustaches?
- Why do people wear images of triangles?
- Why do people get anchor tattoos?
- Why do tennis players wear white?
- Why do Italians wear blue soccer shirts?
- Why does the Queen wear a crown?
Cultural questions, by country
- Why do I see the letters ER and GR on red British post boxes?
- Why do Chinese use chopsticks?
Miscellaneous Cultural mysteries!
- Why do we clap in performances?
- Why do we have piggy banks?
- Why do we say Do-Re-Mi in music?
- RSVP: Why do we write RSVP on invitations?
- Why do we call Jack playing cards “Jacks”?
- Place name meanings: Why do we call places by certain names?
- Why do we toast?
- Why do we clink glasses?
- Why are some people hipsters?